Disability Confident: Improving Hiring Practices
- by Career Moves News
- 14 Nov 2018
As part of the Disability Confident programme, Career Moves works closely with the REC to promote inclusive changes within the workspace to assist employers recruit and retain talented members of staff who have disabilities and health conditions.
The Recruitment Industry Disability Initiative (RIDI) works in conjunction with the Department for Work & Pensions to promote the scheme and help businesses discover people that their businesses just couldn’t do without.
Career Moves Group helps to promote the scheme through working with employers to remove barriers, increase understanding and ensure that disabled people have the opportunities to fulfil their potential and realise their own aspirations.
And as a social media browser, we would like a couple minutes of your time to read about our current problem in the employment market, along with the changes that we are helping to realise.
Did you know that:
17.3% of people of working age in the UK are disabled or have a health condition
Only 11.4% of people in work are disabled or have a health condition
This employment rate is significantly lower than non-disabled people, and the government have been taking action to amend this long-term, systematic, and cultural difficulty.
Currently the UK employment market issues include:
- Some disabled people struggle to find suitable opportunities
- Companies can be reluctant to recruit disabled people, and hold misconceptions on the implications for their business
- Some employees are not provided with adequate support for their physical or mental health whilst in the workplace
The government is working to create opportunities for everyone of the working age, they are focusing on:
- Assisting people with disabilities and health conditions to find and stay in work
- Creating sustainable change with society-wide action, including efforts from government, employers, disabled people themselves and others
- Driving inclusive workplaces as normal practices for all employers.
In conjunction with the REC, we are providing employers with the confidence, skills, and tools they need to help them recruit and retain disabled staff as they progress in their careers.
We want to challenge the misconceptions towards disability and employment through promoting an increased awareness and understanding of disabilities, both mental and physical.
Our end goal is to support employers to make the most of the talents and insights available within the UK workforce.
If you would like to hear more on our efforts with the RED and RIDI then please contact us HERE.