Job descriptionPolicy and Ethics Researcher
Length: 12 Months
Rate: £16.00 - £20.00 per hour
Hours: 9am – 6pm
This temporary staff role will support employees by carrying out research to better understand specific ethics and policy issues related to Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Biology.
The work that the TVC will be doing is scoped for a specific set of reports, which are for internal use only.
- Carry out highly-organised, targeted and robust research on priority ethics and policy issues related to Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Biology.
- Synthesise findings into high-quality written briefings - suitable for senior, time-poor, internal audiences.
- Design and execute targeted research - e.g. literature reviews and media audits - on priority topics, including AI data governance and synthetic biology. Display excellent organisation and documentation of research strategy, approach, and findings.
- Identify leading external topic experts and work with colleagues to arrange/execute expert interview programmes
- Synthesise research into short written summaries
- Support on short tactical research projects, as needed
- Master’s degree in computer science, biology, public policy, or related field - with experience carrying out large independent research projects. (PHD, preferred).
- Total years’ experience in what industry, discipline or responsibility
- 3+ years’ experience in a research-based role that involved independent research design, execution, and dissemination of findings - e.g. in academia, government departments, think tanks, NGOs, or companies.
- Experience in disciplines related to artificial intelligence, biology, and bioethics preferred.
- Examples of past research and writing samples - e.g. published papers or internal briefing notes.
- Skills or processes candidates must have to be considered for the role (ex. 3+ years’ experience writing SQL code)
- Designing and executing high-quality literature reviews on science, technology and ethics-related topics
- Synthesising research findings into high-quality written outputs. Able to quickly assimilate complex technical, ethics and policy issues, across multiple areas, and distill and communicate them effectively
- Have a strong interest in technology, science, ethics and policy, and its implications for society, and a demonstrable interest in AI and biology, with a high level of intellectual curiosity.
- A great team-player with the ability to switch focus and prioritise tasks in what can be an ambiguous and rapidly changing environment.
- Have a good work ethic and aim to achieve
- Specific Tools or Applications experience
- Apps: Drive, docs, sheets etc.
- Literature review and research efficiency tools: e.g. Scholar, PubMed, arXiv, ResearchGate, SemanticScholar, ConnectedPapers, etc.
- Proven expertise in priority topics of interest:
- Ethics and policy of Synthetic Biology, Genomics and Proteomics
- Governance of Artificial Intelligence