Job descriptionPolicy and Ethics Researcher
Length: 12 Months
Rate: £16.00 - £20.00 per hour
Hours: 9am – 6pm
- This temporary staff role will support DeepMind employees by carrying out research to better understand specific ethics and policy issues related to Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Biology.
- The work that the TVC will be doing is scoped for a specific set of reports, which are for internal use only. Beyond this, they don’t foresee that they will need additional capacity.
- Carry out highly-organised, targeted and robust research on priority ethics and policy issues related to Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Biology.
- Synthesise findings into high-quality written briefings - suitable for senior, time-poor, internal audiences.
- Design and execute targeted research - e.g. literature reviews and media audits - on priority topics, including AI data governance and synthetic biology. Display excellent organisation and documentation of research strategy, approach, and findings.
- Identify leading external topic experts and work with colleagues to arrange/execute expert interview programmes
- Synthesise research into short written summaries
- Support on short tactical research projects, as needed
- Master’s degree in computer science, biology, public policy, or related field - with experience carrying out large independent research projects. (PHD, preferred).
- Total years experience in what industry, discipline or responsibility
- 3+ years experience in a research-based role that involved independent research design, execution, and dissemination of findings - e.g. in academia, government departments, think tanks, NGOs, or companies.
- Experience in disciplines related to artificial intelligence, biology, and bioethics preferred.
- Examples of past research and writing samples - e.g. published papers or internal briefing notes.
- Skills or processes candidates must have to be considered for the role (ex. 3+ years experience writing SQL code)
- Designing and executing high-quality literature reviews on science, technology and ethics-related topics
- Synthesising research findings into high-quality written outputs. Able to quickly assimilate complex technical, ethics and policy issues, across multiple areas, and distill and communicate them effectively
- Have a strong interest in technology, science, ethics and policy, and its implications for society, and a demonstrable interest in AI and biology, with a high level of intellectual curiosity.
- A great team-player with the ability to switch focus and prioritise tasks in what can be an ambiguous and rapidly changing environment.
- Have a good work ethic and aim to achieve
- Specific Tools or Applications experience (ex. Apps, Salesforce CRM, etc)
- Apps: Drive, docs, sheets etc.
- Literature review and research efficiency tools: e.g. Scholar, PubMed, arXiv, ResearchGate, SemanticScholar, ConnectedPapers, etc.
- Proven expertise in priority topics of interest:
- Ethics and policy of Synthetic Biology, Genomics and Proteomics
- Governance of Artificial Intelligence