£12.80 - £26.16 per hour
219 758 4300
14 days ago
We build and operate a network of stratospheric balloons that deliver connectivity to people in unserved and underserved communities around the world. By partnering with mobile network operators globally to expand the reach of their LTE service, we expand coverage to places lacking it, supplement existing networks, and provide expedient coverage after natural disasters.
Providing connectivity requires an assortment of teams, and at the heart of it is the Flight Engineering team. The Flight Engineering team is responsible for 24x7x365 command and control of the entire fleet of balloons. This includes navigation, fleet risk management, and software and hardware debugging. Flight Engineers are talented generalist engineers who use automation and operations skills to ensure the safe operation and navigation of Loon’s entire fleet. This entails assisting other Loon engineering teams in diagnosing problems, as well as making the critical decisions necessary to maintain safety.
- Debug production systems, troubleshoot anomalies related to balloon vehicles and navigation, and work with subsystem engineers to improve subsystems. This includes consultation, and the implementation and submission of direct system changes/improvements in code (e.g. in C++, Python, HTML, TypeScript, etc.).
- Make tactical decisions affecting airborne activities including testing new hardware, launches and landings.
- Assist in the integration and operation of airborne tests and non-standard systems.
- Coordinate with and provide timely information to Air Traffic Control Agencies and Aviation Authorities around the world for the operation of Loon High Altitude Balloons.
- Conduct fleet safety & efficiency analysis, and define overall fleet plan making necessary tradeoffs to accomodate the needs of key project stakeholders (e.g. engineering, regulations, field operations, reliability, etc.).
- Design and improve processes, automation and monitoring systems for safe and scalable operations of a large fleet of balloons. Write, test and maintain scripts/software to automate away repetitive operational tasks.
- Support 24/7 operations by working rotating 8 hour shifts. This includes holidays and weekends.
- Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering degree OR 4-6 years of experience in similar/related fields.
- Sound understanding of engineering fundamentals, including but not limited to newtonian physics, thermodynamics, fluids, and gas laws.
- Software development experience (e.g., C++, Python, HTML, TypeScript).
- Experience working with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design.
- Experience in analyzing and troubleshooting aerospace, avionics, and software systems.
- Experiencing using a Linux/Unix system to deploy and manage cloud compute services.
- Able to remain calm under pressure and work through unforeseen circumstances while adhering to strict safety and operational guidelines.
- Experience working in a cross-functional team consisting of hardware and software engineers.
- Able to focus on multiple projects simultaneously, reprioritizing as necessary.
- Able to manage and navigate through complex and ambiguous problems.
- Self-starter requiring minimal direction, capable of anticipating issues and proposing/developing solutions.
- Organized, detail oriented and articulate.
- Lifelong learner.
- Bilingual: Portuguese, French, Spanish.
- Experience in safety-critical operations, such as aviation or satellite operations.
- Professional software engineering experience (C++, Python, HTML, TypeScript).
- Experience in managing software engineering and operational projects.
- Experience in querying and analyzing data to provide actionable insight (visualization, SQL, etc).
- Experience in managing complex projects, with a proven track record in accomplishments through leadership and collaboration.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to tailor format and style to match the situation whether in person, emails, documents, or presentations.
- 25 days holiday (pro rata) + paid bank holiday’s
- Fantastic offices and access to world class technologies
- When onsite - free use of cafeteria, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks
- Remote onboarding, company laptop and phone
- Opportunity to work with one of the Big 5 Tech companies