Blog: Employer Branding: The Key to Good Recruitment?
- by Harriet Kempton
- 23 May 2016
On the evening of Thursday 19th May, the Career Moves staff congregated at The Groucho Club in Soho to welcome clients to an event being presented by Andrew Porter, Head of Talent Engagement at Diageo. Diageo is a ‘consumer goods companies with portfolio of world-famous drinks brands’.
We had 40 clients join us for an insightful evening on ‘Employer Branding: The Key to Good Recruitment?’ followed by a networking drinks reception.
For those who haven’t heard Andrew speak, I would strongly encourage you to try and attend an event he is at, not only was he engaging and entertaining but gave us a terrific insight into life at Diageo and why your people should be your top priority. He also gave us some handy tips into the world of LinkedIn. Since arriving 18months ago, Andrew and team have grown the Diageo LinkedIn page from 80,000 followers to almost half a million. A pretty phenomenal effort!
So, what did we learn?
- Be authentic. If you are proud of the brand and the people you work with this will come a lot more easily. Work for a brand you are passionate about and believe in.
- Look at what you can do differently. If you want something you’ve never had, then you’ve got to do something you’ve never done.
- Your brand must live up to your expectations
- What is your brand/ company story?
- Touch points: throughout the candidate journey there must be times that you touch base and check in to see how things are going. These are your moments of truth. What are you doing well? Where can you improve? It is easy to loose people if you don’t engage them and make them feel valued and part of the team.
- Be seen as the expert/ go to person/ brand
- Stabilisation. Build capability. Growth
- What is your employer brand? How can you get the absolute best people to come and work for you?
- What is your Employee Value Proposition? Why should people come and work for you?
- Strengthen your talent pipeline. Build engagement of the brand for the future.
Over the course of the evening, it was very clear that Andrew has a huge passion for people. His zeal for ensuring current Diageo staff have the right resources available to them in order to develop and retain them in the company was apparent for all to see. I think this was further validated by the staff who showed up and who were all clearly committed and aligned with company values.
Thanks to Andrew and the Diageo team for a wonderful evening. We look forward to seeing you at the next Career Moves event!
Follow us on LinkedIn for all career updates, news and events.